We’re working to support children and young people experiencing disadvantage with the right education and training.
Much research exists on the importance of giving children the right start in life, with education key to their life outcomes.
BSL’s work and advocacy focuses on ensuring all children and young people have the right systems, resources and supports to help them achieve and not be held back by poverty and disadvantage.
How does BSL help?
We develop innovative programs and services that enable students of all
ages experiencing disadvantage to successfully engage in education and
These innovations help young people to create lasting change in
- Our supports young people who have disengaged from school due to the challenges they face with disadvantage. We help them complete their education and prepare to enter the workforce.
- Our (HIPPY) builds participation in early childhood education. It equips parents in their role as their child’s first teachers and helps them strengthen the home learning environment.
- Our provide supported accommodation and an educational environment for young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness for up to two years. This enables them to focus on their studies and graduate with qualifications to help them be independent.
- We work with other organisations to inform them how to deliver high-support flexible learning options and cutting-edge teaching techniques for highly vulnerable young people.
- Our focuses on improving outcomes for learners and communities experiencing disadvantage while advocating for a quality vocational education system that is underpinned by public provision.
- We influence government decision making to affect outcomes for children and young people through advocacy to government.
Research publications and policy submissions
We listen to your experiences of inequality and disadvantage, research the social and economic factors at play, and propose policies that contribute to a more equitable and inclusive society.
You can help make change
You can support us in making lasting change today in a range of ways.