Breathe new life into pre-loved clothes as a volunteer tailor for our Community Stores.
LOCATION: Brotherhood Warehouse, Judge Street, Sunshine
HOURS: Monday to Friday, flexible during business hours
We are currently looking to create a team of volunteers with an interest in fashion and experience in clothing alterations, knitting, hand sewing, machine sewing, fabric or design skills to perform repairs, make clothing alterations and adjustments, and create new items from existing garments.
This role is based in either our warehouse in Sunshine, or our Hunter Gatherer store in Fitzroy, dependent upon demand.
As a tailor you will repair garments; make clothing alterations; and create new fashion items from old garments.
- experience essential e.g. pattern-makers, tailors, or design/fashion students or graduates
- enthusiasm and ability to work well in a team environment
- knowledge of on-trend fashion/vintage and retro style, and in particular upcycling of clothes highly regarded.
Time commitment is flexible, with full induction provided in a friendly and supportive environment.
For more information, read the position description (PDF, 109kb).
About our Community Stores
The Brotherhood of St Laurence has 20 retail stores across greater Melbourne. This includes our two Hunter Gatherer stores that sell hand-picked vintage and retro pieces. Read more on the Stores website »
Applicants are required to complete the screening questionnaire (Word, 76kb).
Before you apply
- read the position description
- read the what to expect section of our website that outlines what to expect when you volunteer; your rights and responsibilities; and what's involved in a formal application.
How to apply
- applicants are required to submit a resume and complete the screening questionnaire
- applicants who do not complete the screening questionnaire will not be considered for shortlisting
- email written applications to: volunteer(at)bsl.org.au.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply
- The Brotherhood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you would like more information about our recruitment process or require assistance with your application then please contact our volunteer services team at volunteer(at)bsl.org.au or contact us on (03) 9483 1390.