- Refugees, immigration & multiculturalism
Cross-Cultural Responsiveness training
Is your organisation or agency wanting to improve your ability to work or engage with culturally diverse individuals and families?
The Brotherhood of St Laurence offers interactive cross-cultural responsiveness training based on first-hand practical experience.
Over the past 60 years our Multicultural Communities Team (formerly known as the Ecumenical Migration Centre) has developed expertise in working with individuals and families from refugee, migrant and asylum seeker backgrounds. We are passionate about building the capacity of our sector colleagues for cross-cultural responsiveness by offering training in this area.
The training will equip you to:
- understand the impact of the settlement experience from a new arrival’s perspective
- address barriers and issues that may arise in working with culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) clients and communities, and build on their strength and resources
- undertake a cross-cultural assessment or tailor your current assessments for CALD clients
- make more effective use of interpreters
- take actions to increase CALD participation in your services and groups.
Also if relevant to your service, increase awareness of:
- diverse child-rearing practices
- the barriers people with disability face in accessing services.
After a pre-survey of participants, we’ll tailor the material to the specific needs of your organisation. We will offer handouts, case studies, role plays and an opportunity for open question and answer sessions as well as feedback to ensure continual improvement of our training packages.
Training is located at our office in Epping, or we can deliver the training on-site at your organisation.
Other Cross-Cultural Consultancy services
In addition to the training, our Multicultural Communities Team can assist you with many of your cross-cultural needs. We offer help with diversity auditing and planning, developing community engagement strategies and culturally tailoring your materials and services to boost CALD engagement. We also specialise in assisting organisations and staff to maximise the responsiveness of their service to culturally and linguistically diverse families.