- Refugees, immigration & multiculturalism
Cross-Cultural Training and Consultancy
Foster greater curiosity and confidence in your team by building Cross-Cultural Responsiveness to improve your work with multicultural communities.
Upcoming training sessions
Do you know someone working in a reception role serving multicultural communities? The people welcoming people into an office play a crucial role in ensuring everyone feels welcome and understood. The Brotherhood’s Cross-Cultural Training was developed specifically for reception staff provides practical tips on how to be culturally responsive in the presentation of office spaces as well as in reception liaison to ensure everyone feels comfortable and accepted.
Book for one of our two half-day interactive training sessions on either of the following dates:
Date: Friday 14 June 2019
Time: 9.30am to 12.30pm – please arrive 15 minutes early to settle in
Venue: Training Room, Brotherhood Centre for Work and Learning,
95 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, VIC 3065 (take trams 11, 86 or 96 from Parliament train station)
Please reserve your place via http://bit.ly/FitzJuneAdmin
Price (half-day): $130 (NGO staff) and $162 (government staff)
Do you want your service to engage better with culturally diverse individuals and families? Do you want tips on building rapport, tackling difficult conversations and retaining your CALD program participants?
Join us for an interactive full-day training session with practical tips for practitioners working with individuals and families of refugee and migrant backgrounds at one of these two venues.
Date: Wednesday 5 June 2019
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm – please arrive 15 minutes early to settle in
Venue: Epping Community Services Hub,
713 High Street, Epping, VIC 3076 (accessible via Epping train station, buses 358, 901 and 569)
Please reserve your place via http://bit.ly/EppgJuneFamilies
Price (full-day): $216 (NGO staff) and $270 (government staff)
Date: Wednesday 10 July 2019
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm – please arrive 15 minutes early to settle in
Venue: Father Tucker's Room, Brotherhood of St Laurence Head Office,
67 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, VIC 3065 (take trams 11, 86 or 96 from Parliament train station)
Please reserve your place via http://bit.ly/JulyFamiliesFitz
Price (full-day): $270 (NGO staff) and $321 (government staff). These can be paid and/or invoiced before 30 June.
Cross-Cultural Responsiveness Training
Over the past 60 years, the Brotherhood of St Laurence has developed specialist expertise in working with individuals and families from refugee and migrant backgrounds, and those seeking asylum. Our Cross-Cultural Consultancy Team offers half-day or full-day training programs – tailored to the learning needs of participants – to build the skills and confidence of staff and volunteers working with people with culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds. We are passionate about building the capacity of our sector colleagues, as well as employers, for cross-cultural responsiveness by offering training in this area.
Our interactive training workshops empower people working with CALD individuals by equipping them with:
- frameworks through which to reflect on one’s own culture and other cultures
- an understanding of the impact of the settlement experience on new arrivals
- practical strategies to address barriers and misunderstandings faced by, and harness strengths of, CALD individuals
- increased confidence to work with diverse communities.
Our training courses can include the following modules:
- Working with families and children – empowers and supports participants to work with CALD families in ways that foster engagement and participation. The module can be tailored to have an early years focus.
- Working with young people – focuses on the needs, challenges and strengths of young people. The module can be tailored to focus on navigating transitions to employment.
- Working with people with disability and the NDIS – focuses on cultural conceptions of disability and the challenges posed by the NDIS for people with disability of CALD backgrounds.
- Serving Multicultural Communities – Reception Staff Training – provides practical tips on how to be culturally responsive in the presentation of your office spaces as well as through reception liaison to ensure everyone feels comfortable and accepted.
- Volunteers working with CALD youth/individuals/families – builds an appreciation for the crucial role volunteers play in supporting families during their settlement journey, and provides tips and advice on navigating challenges that volunteers can face with CALD families. The module can be tailored for those working with individuals and youth.
- Mentoring: harnessing the strengths of disadvantaged young people – builds awareness of the reality of poverty in Australia and how it manifests and impacts on people’s daily lives, as well as the do’s and don’ts of mentoring when working with CALD communities.
- Diversity and inclusion – fosters an awareness of diversity and inclusion amongst staffing peers, covering multicultural, indigenous, disability, sexuality and gender identity, as well as providing proactive and practice strategies for supervisors on how to harness the strengths of their diverse workforce.
Workshops are available in Melbourne, regional Victoria and/or nationally, and are suitable for not-for-profit, government and private sector participants.
To arrange tailored training at your work site or request a proposal in response to your needs, please contact us directly at xcrt(at)bsl.org.au
We provide training and consultancy services to a range of NGOs, local councils, State Government departments and others. Some of these are:
- NGOs – such as Anglicare, Berry St Family Services, Launch Housing, Uniting Care
- Local government – such as Banyule, Boroondara and Port Phillip councils
- State government – such as Small Business Victoria, Office of Public Prosecutions, Parliament of Victoria
- Other – such as Victoria University, Apprenticeship Employment Network.
Other Cross-Cultural Consultancy services
We also specialise in helping organisations maximise the responsiveness of their services to individuals and families from CALD backgrounds. In addition to training, our Cross-Cultural Consultancy Team can assist with the following consultancy services:
- Helping develop community engagement strategies
- Tailoring materials and services to boost engagement with CALD participants
- Collaboratively working on projects to understand barriers and raise the profile of your service for CALD participants, while building the capacity of your team, so that knowledge and networks remain in your team to support future projects.
Consultancy in Action – NDIS ECEI Building Cultural Responsiveness Project
The Cross-Cultural Consultancy Team has been engaged by the Brotherhood’s NDIS Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) program to ensure the service maximises cultural responsiveness and increases the participation of children and families from CALD backgrounds. This enables the service to better reflect the diversity of their local catchment area. We are undertaking community consultations with target CALD communities, community leaders and service providers to so that we can co-design culturally appropriate tools, develop a CALD community engagement plan and conduct training to build the cultural responsiveness of ECEI staff.
To find out more, to book your Cross-Cultural Responsiveness Training or make enquiries about consultancy opportunities, contact:
Cross-Cultural Consultancy Coordinator
Phone: (03) 9422 5641
Or to make inquiries about consultancy opportunities and/or seek proposals for a tailored training package, please contact:
Ms Hutch Hussein
Senior Manager, Diversity Unit
Phone: 0438 507 103