Support fellow students in Year 9 to Year 12 by becoming a Peer Tutor
The Homework Learning Support Initiative (HLSI), supports South Sudanese community needs in the Frankston area. HLSI is a place based, educational engagement and social inclusion program for humanitarian refugee children and families of the Horn of Africa (South Sudanese). Based on a holistic approach, this program supports children who have experienced educational and environmental disruption and trauma and is designed to strengthen their social capital, literacy, numeracy and language skills and improve both child and family health and wellbeing. HLSI encompasses multi-generational and diverse learning opportunities
We are seeking students in Year 9 to Year 12 to volunteer as Peer Tutors. Peer tutoring involves supporting participants from emerging communities, particularly the South Sudanese community from Prep to Year 6, assisting with homework tasks; supporting the participants’ learning in numeracy and literacy; and general participation in HLSI activities.
This role will operate across the following site:
- Monterey Secondary College, 20 Silvertop St, Frankston North
Please specify the location you are applying for in your screening questionnaire.
What we're looking for:
We are looking for someone with:
- Commitment and interest in supporting children, youth and families from culturally diverse backgrounds
- In Year 9 to Year 12
- Interest in education, supporting student creativity and skill development
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to relate and interact well with children and young people
- Demonstrated capacity to contribute to a team environment
- Commitment to the objectives and ongoing development of the program
- Understanding of and commitment to the values and ideals of the BSL
How do I apply?
1. Understand if you’re eligible
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. BSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
2. Provide your resume
Your resume should include your work experience relevant to this volunteering opportunity.