Jobs Victoria Employment Services (JVES) Mentor
Help provide personalised employment support to long-term unemployed jobseekers.
Funded by the Victorian Government, Jobs Victoria Employment Services (JVES) provides personalised employment support to long-term unemployed jobseekers and people at risk of being long-term unemployed.
The program has an opportunity for volunteer mentors to provide one-to-one support to program participants in their fields of interest. Mentors are matched to participants based on their industry of interest, education, and job aspiration.
Some of the support they may offer could include but is not limited to: establishing goals, providing industry insights, offer guidance around networking, sharing of relevant resources, and offering guidance and support with resume writing and cover letter feedback. Main industries of interest include: Health Care & Social Assistance, Retail Trade, Manufacturing, Accommodation & Food Services, Transport Postal & Warehousing, Education and Training. Preferred Occupations Include: Administrative Workers, Health and Welfare Support Workers, Customer Service Worker, ICT Workers.
The JVES program is part of the Work, Economic Security and Social Inclusion (WESSI) department at the Brotherhood of St Laurence (BSL).
What will I do?
- Provide one-to-one mentoring support in your field of expertise
- Role modelling and sharing of skills
- Provide participants with support with goal setting
- Other duties as required
What we’re looking for:
- Current or previous experience in the industries and roles mentioned above
- Ability to hold fortnightly mentoring session for a minimum of 4 sessions
- Ability to relate to people from different cultural backgrounds
- Commitment to attend BSL Induction, Cross Cultural Training and any other role-specific training, as required
- A passionate desire to contribute to positive change in people’s lives
- An understanding of, or experience in working with disadvantaged job seekers
We are looking for someone with:
1-2 hours per fortnight, or as agreed, within office hours
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, this role will initially provide support via a digital platform, changing to face-to-face support only when it is deemed safe to do so.
How do I apply?
1. Understand if you’re eligible
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. BSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.