Brotherhood Lunchtime Seminar:
Refugees: prospects & potential
Insights from personal, research and program experience
The Research & Policy Centre at the Brotherhood of St Laurence is delighted to invite you to attend our very special World Refugee Day session of Brotherhood Talks.
This session draws on experts from across the Brotherhood:
- A panel of staff from refugee and asylum-seeking backgrounds who bring both lived and professional experience:
- Joseph Youhana, Programs Manager, Settlement, Youth & Families. As a long time refugee global advocate, Joseph is also informing and supporting the work of United Nation’s High Commission for Refugees and the UN Human Rights Council
- Heikma Siraj, Recruitment & Field Officer, Given the Chance
- Noura Hachem, Recruitment & Employer Engagement Coordinator, Given the Chance
- Mubarek Imam, Youth Coach
- Conny Lenneberg, BSL Executive Director, who brings extensive international development experience in the Middle East and Eastern Europe
- Dina Bowman, Principal Research Fellow, whose research focuses on economic security and employment, including for people with refugee experience and people seeking asylum
- Jo Tabit, Senior Manager, Employment Programs, including Given the Chance programs for Asylum Seekers and Refugees
And Oliver Crane (KPMG) reporting on the Cost Benefit Analysis of the Brotherhood’s Given the Chance for Asylum Seekers Employment Program
Reflecting the Brotherhood’s methodology, we’ll draw on personal experiences, research and program learnings to deepen our understanding of how to strengthen the settlement experiences and economic security of refugees and people seeking asylum living in Australia.
Got a question for our expert panel? Inspired by the ABC TV’s “You Can’t Ask That,” our staff welcome your pre-submitted questions. Please email potential questions by 5pm, Mon 17 June to jdouglas(at)bsl.org.au.
Thursday 20 June
12-1.30 with a light lunch immediately afterwards
Father Tucker's Room, Brotherhood of St Laurence Head Office, 67 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.
RSVP and questions
Please RSVP to attend this event for seating and catering purposes. Replies and queries to jdouglas(at)bsl.org.au or (03) 9483 1364.
All welcome. Please advise if any accessibility adjustments would help support your attendance.