Urban Camp Team Member
Fun opportunity to be part of a great team engaging young people in social justice issues through powerful community engagement!
LOCATION: Fitzroy and surrounding suburbs
HOURS: We are advertising for four different sessions; morning session (7.30-11.30am), midday session (11.30am-3.30pm), afternoon session (3.30-6.30pm) and evening session (6.30-9.30pm).
DAYS: Flexible (at least 3 months commitment)
Please note that volunteers are not required for all four sessions but may also volunteer for multiple. Refer to our position description for more information.
Summary of program and its objectives
At the Brotherhood of St. Laurence we run Urban Camps about social justice, poverty reduction and leadership for young people. Urban Camp participants spend 3-5 days with our Schools Engagement Program team in Fitzroy and surrounding suburbs meeting community members from many walks of life. The aim of Urban Camp is to build awareness around issues relating to social justice in a fun and engaging way. We break down stereotypes through meaningful community engagement and inspire young people to be agents of positive change. Our camps are fun and often described as 'life changing'!
Main responsibilities of the role
We are currently seeking a volunteer Urban Camp Team Members to help create fun and energetic Urban Camps through accompanying students in hearing the stories of and working with people who may currently be experiencing homelessness, disadvantage or social exclusion; assisting students in meeting community change makers from various organisations and social enterprises around Melbourne CBD; accompanying students in engaging with older people through activities based in the Brotherhood’s Coolibah Community Centre and other Brotherhood aged care facilities; assisting students in playing and learning with children from refugee family backgrounds who live in public housing; accompany Urban Camp students in supporting young people from refugee backgrounds to practice their English language skills; assisting students in attending social justice related events in Melbourne CBD; supporting Urban Camp staff with the running of camp games; assisting Urban Camp staff in running workshops on topics such as homelessness, disadvantage, inequality and other topics; assist in running sessions on mindfulness and wellbeing; assist in running other Urban Camp activities onsite and offsite; support Urban Camp food preparation where necessary; lead by example.
To meet the selection criteria, candidate will require:
- enjoyment working with young people
- ability to work enthusiastically as part of a team but also take initiative
- an understanding of or willingness to learn about issues surrounding social justice, disadvantage and community development
- demonstrated patience and a sense of humour
- a willingness and ability to learn new things
- great communication skills
- understanding of and empathy with the values and ideals of the Brotherhood.
Please note, Urban Camp Team Members are not required to stay overnight while on camp.
Applicants are required to complete the screening questionnaire.
Before you apply
- read the position description
- read the what to expect section of our website that outlines what to expect when you volunteer; your rights and responsibilities; and what's involved in a formal application.
How to apply
- applicants are required to submit a resume and complete the screening questionnaire
- applicants who do not complete the screening questionnaire will not be considered for shortlisting
- email written applications to: volunteer(at)bsl.org.au.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply
- The Brotherhood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you would like more information about our recruitment process or require assistance with your application then please contact our volunteer services team at volunteer(at)bsl.org.au or contact us on (03) 9483 1390.