Education First Youth Foyer Mentor
Help young people explore their personal and professional aspirations for the future.
- 30 Cavendish Street Broadmeadows, Vic 3047
- 639 Waverley Road, Glen Waverley, Vic 3150
HOURS: Up to 3-4 hours a month outside of the induction and follow up training sessions
Summary of program and its objectives
The Youth Foyers are an innovative service that provides young people between the ages of 16–25 who are either homeless or at risk of homelessness, with access to mainstream education, training and employment opportunities, while living in student-style accommodation.
We are seeking Volunteer Mentors to participate in the EFY Foyer Mentoring Program, which aims to connect students with an interested and committed adult who can help them explore their personal and professional aspirations for the future and provide them with guidance, support and encouragement in a confidential, non-judgmental, respectful manner. The focus of the program is on engagement in the experience of establishing and maintaining trusting relationships: those that encourage social confidence and emotional wellbeing. Training is provided.
Main responsibilities of the role
- undertake an interview, provide two referees contacts, consent to a Police Check and Working with Children Check and Volunteer Induction
- participate in formal training which entails attending at evening sessions held Tuesdays (TBC) on site:
- induction Session (mentors only)
- 3 group training sessions and mid program progress session (with young people)
- other activities and celebrations.
- commit to nine months of mentoring
- meet with mentees at least once a month
- contact their mentee by phone or email at least once a fortnight.
Timetable October 2017
- 6.30 to 8:30 Tuesday 17th October: Intro (First) training session - MENTORS
- 6.30 to 8:30 Wednesday 18th October: Intro (First) training session - MENTEES
- 6.30 to 8:30 Tuesday 31 October: Second training session - MENTORS AND MENTEES
- 6.30 to 8:30 Tuesday 14 November: Third training session - MENTORS AND MENTEES
- 6.30 to 8:30 Tuesday 21 November: Fourth training Session - MENTORS AND MENTEES
- 6.30 to 8:30 Tuesday January TBD: Catch up
- 6.30 to 8:30 Tuesday June TBD: Catch up
- 2018 AUGUST: End of program celebration
- abide by the Mentoring Agreement and the Mentor Code of Conduct
- ensure a safe and supportive environment for each meeting
- respect the rights, dignity and privacy of mentees
- be open, honest and respectful in all communications with the mentee
- keep all commitments regarding the scheduling of meetings and contact with the mentee
- keep a record of meetings/contact with mentees: dates, time, contact type, duration
- maintain a professional and ethical working relationship with Foyer staff
- disclose information that is relevant to the safety and wellbeing of the mentee to Foyer staff
- participate in an evaluation of the program
- utilise an Open Talent and advantaged approach to working with young people.
To learn more, view the Education First Youth Foyer Mentor position description (341kb).
We are looking for mentors for early next year (late February) and are interviewing now. If you are interested please call Ann Howie on 9309 3946 or 0452 489 509 or email her at Ann.Howie(at)Launchhousing.org.au.